Updated: October 2016
Information We Collect
We may obtain certain personal information when you choose to provide them through our Site. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- username and password
- educational information, such as your school and grades
In addition, when you visit our Site, we may collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies and web beacons. The information we collect in this manner includes IP address, browser characteristics, device characteristics, operating system, language preferences, referring URLs, information on actions taken on our site, and dates and times of website visits.
A "cookie" is a text file that websites send to a visitor's computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. On this Site, we use two kinds of cookies: session cookies and persistent cookies. Session cookies exist only for as long as your browser remains open. Once you close your browser, they are deleted. Persistent cookies, in contrast, last beyond each visit to the Site and remain on your hard drive after you close your browser. The cookies used on the Site include those that are strictly necessary cookies for access and navigation, cookies that track usage (performance cookies) and remember your choices (functionality cookies), and cookies that provide you with targeted content or advertising.
We may use the information we obtain from your use of our cookies for the following purposes:
- to recognize your computer when you visit the Site
- to track you as you navigate the Site
- to improve the Site's usability
- to analyze use of the Site
- to manage the Site
- to personalize the Site
We also may use "web beacons" on our Site. A web beacon, also known as a pixel tag or clear GIF, may be used to transmit information collected through cookies to our service providers' servers, such as the server of Google Analytics. These web beacons enable our service providers to compile anonymous information about your browsing activity on the Site. For more information, see the section on "Online Tracking" below.
Your browser may tell you how to be notified when you receive certain types of cookies or how to restrict or disable certain types of cookies. Please note, however, that without cookies you may not be able to use all of the features of our Site.
How We Use The Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain through the Site to:
- create and manage your account;
- offer and provide products, services and information to you, including newsletters;
- personalize your learning experience;
- analyse your learning data to help outcomes;
- permit you to participate in blogs, forums, and discussion groups;
- display content on our Site, such as stories, product reviews and photos;
- respond to and communicate with you about your requests, questions and comments;
- process claims we receive in connection with our products and services;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business (including developing new products and services; managing our communications; determining the effectiveness of our sales, marketing and advertising; analyzing and enhancing our products, services and Site; and performing accounting, auditing, billing, reconciliation and collection activities);
- perform data analyses and other processing (including market and consumer research, trend analysis),
- protect against, identify and prevent fraud and other criminal activity, claims and other liabilities; and
- comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, relevant industry standards and our policies.
We also use this information to help diagnose technical and service problems, administer our Site, identify users of our Site, and gather demographic information about our users. We use clickstream data to determine how much time users spend on web pages of our Site, how users navigate through our Site, and how we may tailor our Site to better meet the needs of our users.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
We may use third-party web analytics services on our Site, such as Google Analytics. Google Analytics are not used on the learning platform, though on other areas of the site it is used. These service providers help us analyze how users use our Site.
The information collected for this purpose (including your IP address and other information collected by automated means) will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. These service providers may retain and use anonymised, aggregated data collected from users of our Site in connection with their own businesses, including in order to improve their products and services. To learn more about opting out of data collection through Google Analytics, click the link below:
For more information about privacy policies and Google Analytics, please refer to the Google website:
This Site is not designed to respond to “do not track” signals received from browsers.
Information We Share
With the Macmillan Group
We may share the information you provide with our holding companies, subsidiaries or affiliates which include many different publishers ("Macmillan Group"). The Macmillan Group will use this information where they provide services on our behalf (as a data processor) and, unless prohibited under applicable law, for use on their own behalf (as a data controller) for the purposes set out above in How We Use The Information We Collect.
With Other Companies
We may also share the personal information we obtain outside the Macmillan Group for the following purposes:-
- We share your information within the gradebooks or communication tools on the Site that facilitate instructor and student engagement with authorized personnel of you school or other institution;
- We share personal information with third parties who perform services on our behalf. For example, we may retain third party service providers to manage our customer databases or distribute e-mail offerings.
- We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law, regulation or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena), (ii) in response to requests by government agencies, such as law enforcement authorities, or (iii) when we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity.
- We reserve the right to transfer any information we have about you in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (including in the event of a reorganization, dissolution or liquidation).
Links To Other Websites
Our Site may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. Websites may be operated by companies not affiliated with us. Linked websites may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review if you visit any linked websites. We are not responsible for the content of any websites that are not affiliated with Macmillan Education, any use of those websites, or the privacy practices of those websites.
We do not knowingly collect personal information from children on our Site. Where the Site makes available products or services which are directed at children, we require the parents, or teacher, or institution to register on their behalf. If we become aware that we have inadvertently received personal information from a child on our Site, we will delete the information from our records.
How We Protect Personal Information
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information you provide against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use.
Notice to California Residents
California’s "Shine the Light" law, Civil Code section 1798.83, requires certain businesses to respond to requests from California customers asking about the business’ practices related to disclosing personal information to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. In the alternative, such businesses may have in place a policy not to disclose personal information of customers to third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes if the customer has opted out of such information-sharing. We have such a policy in place. As discussed above in the section entitled "Your Choices", if you wish to opt-out of our sharing of your information with third parties for the third parties' direct marketing purposes, please follow the appropriate opt-out link in that section.
Access and Correction
We may transfer the personal information we collect about you to countries other than the country in which the information originally was collected. Those countries may not have the same data protection laws as the country in which you initially provided the information.
How To Contact Us
Macmillan Education Caribbean
The Macmillan Campus
4 Crinan Street, London
N1 9XW UK
Tel: +44(0)207 014 6767